A crawl space flood can be caused by standing water due to poor drainage or a leaking pipe. Addressing the cause of the crawl space flood is a primary concern. Once you've addressed the cause, you can begin to assess the damage and remediate the health concerns and structural damage.
Standing water and excess humidity cause a number of health issues like allergens, airborne viruses, and pests. Listed below are just a few of those ailments.
- Dust mites: These microscopic creatures can also cause asthma flare-ups as well as eczema.
- Airborne Viruses: Airborne viruses that cause respiratory infections, like the cold and flu, are more likely to transmit in areas with excess humidity. In conditions with excess moisture, infectious aerosols expand, which makes them more likely to drop onto non-porous surfaces like countertops or onto an occupant's skin. Excess humidity also makes an occupant less likely to fight off infection due to fatigue.
- Pests: Pests like cockroaches or mosquitos that are attracted to high humidity carry infectious diseases.
Additionally, a flood in a crawl space can result in structural issues inside your home leading to expensive repairs and replacement.
- Personal Items: Clothing, photos, family heirlooms, and other personal items are commonly lost in floods. If you do store items in your lower levels, make sure they are in plastic containers that are less susceptible to seepage. Personal items in a wooden or cardboard box are more prone to irreplacable damage.
- Foundation Repair: Mold, pests, and fungi can cause your foundation to warp or rot.
- Rust: The metal on your tools, appliances, and other items may rust faster.
The quicker you become aware of a crawl space flood, the quicker you can spring into action to minimize any long-term damage.
An AprilAire Healthy Waterproofing expert can help you in encapsulating your crawl space and addressing any other concerns you have about air quality issues or structural damage as a result of your flooded crawl space.
They can also install an AprilAire crawl space dehumidifier that can help remove excess moisture as a result of the flood. With intuitive digital controls, you can easily set and control the moisture inside your home to reduce harmful airborne contaminants that impact your home's health, comfort, and structure.
AprilAire continues to improve the quality of its dehumidifiers with corrosion-resistant aluminum coils, quality manufacturing processes to prevent leaks and secure packaging for damage-free shipment. Each dehumidifier is backed with a 5-year warranty.
Contact a local Healthy Waterproofing Pro today.
The first step is simple. Share your zip code below for a comprehensive list of certified AprilAire Partners in your area who can help you breathe Healthy Air.