Click play to listen to the article, What Gratitue and Healthy Air Have in Common.
The holiday season offers a great opportunity for connecting with loved ones and taking time to focus on what you’re thankful for. It’s a season of gratitude.
At Aprilaire, we’re always grateful for Healthy Air. And around the holidays, that means being aware of the impact cold winter temperatures and cooking can have on your home’s indoor environment and your health.
Both practicing gratitude and breathing Healthy Air can play a large role in your overall wellness. Let’s look at some of the benefits these things have in common.
How To Practice Gratitude
To start, here are three ways you can begin a gratitude practice. These can be part of your daily routine, or something you try to do whenever you need a healthy reset.
1. Start a gratitude journal where you write down three things you’re grateful for. You can do this every day and focus on the small things, or try it once a week or once a month and reflect on what’s most impactful for you.
2. Share your gratitude with others. After you’ve reflected on what you’re grateful for, share a kind word or a thank you note with someone who is special to you. This can be a close friend or relative who plays a consistent role in your life, or an acquaintance you appreciate.
3. Connect with your basic senses. Sometimes we can feel lost when we haven’t slowed down and appreciated our surroundings and how we’re feeling. Try a basic 5- or 10-minute breathing meditation to clear your head and renew your focus on positive things.
How To Enjoy Healthy Air
We spend about 90% of our lives indoors, making our homes and places of work the areas where we need to ensure we’re breathing quality indoor air. The Aprilaire Healthy Air System™ is a comprehensive, all-in-one solution that provides a blueprint for creating a Healthy Home environment in three key areas: fresh air ventilation, air filtration, and humidity control.
1. Fresh air ventilation: Fresh air ventilation removes stale, stagnant air from your home and replaces it with fresh air from the outdoors.
2. Air filtration: Air filtration works with your home’s HVAC system to remove harmful particles like dust mites, pet dander, pollen, and mold spores from the air circulating in your home.
3. Humidity control: Aprilaire whole-house humidifiers and dehumidifiers keep the humidity level of your home between 40% and 60% for optimal health and comfort.
Wellness Benefits of Gratitude and Healthy Air
Here are the shared benefits of practicing gratitude and creating a Healthy Air environment in your home.
– Analyzing a connection between gratitude and happiness, one researcher asked participants to write and personally deliver a letter of gratitude to someone who had “never been properly thanked for his or her kindness.” The people who wrote and delivered the letters reported a large increase in happiness scores.
– With air quality, studies have shown that even brief, temporary air pollution exposure may be linked to an increased risk for mental disorders like depression and schizophrenia.
Increased Cognitive Function
– Studies have shown that an active practice of gratitude can increase neuron density and lead to greater emotional intelligence.
– About 20% of the oxygen you breathe in is used by your brain to function, and research continues to show a link between poor air quality and reduced cognitive function.
More Restful Sleep
– In one study, a two-week “gratitude intervention” increased sleep quality and reduced blood pressure in participants.
– In a separate study on air quality and sleep, researchers found that people who lived in areas with high levels of air pollution were 60 percent more likely to sleep poorly.
Better Heart Health
– Research shows that gratitude and other positive psychological attributes can play a critical role in improving cardiovascular health outcomes.
– A decade-long study showed a direct link between air pollution and atherosclerosis, which is a buildup of plaque in the coronary artery that can affect heart health.