Summer Heat Wave and Controlling Humidity
Making your home comfortable is about more than the arrangement of your furniture. When it comes to health and wellness for you and your home, turn your focus to humidity. You can always tell when humidity levels are high outdoors–that sticky, muggy feeling is hard to ignore. But you should also be aware of what high humidity can do to your indoor home environment beyond a summer heat wave.
The main concerns are the comfort and health of your home. Excess humidity can irritate allergies, cause mold growth, and attract pests. And it doesn’t stop there.
Common Issues Of Non-Optimized Humidity
You could benefit from a dehumidifier if you answer yes to any of the following questions:
- Does someone in your home suffer from allergies or asthma?
- Do you live in a humid or muggy climate?
- Do you see bugs or pests in the basement and around the house?
- Do you often notice heavy condensation on windows or mirrors?
- Does your home have problems with mold or mildew?
- Do your wood flooring and wood furniture swell up in the summer?
What Does A Dehumidifier Do?
Dehumidifiers are designed to regulate the amount of moisture in the air, which can help alleviate the issues listed above and greatly improve the quality of your indoor air during a summer heat wave.
Below are a few of the benefits of a dehumidifier for both your health and the health of your home:
While viruses, bacteria, mold, and other airborne pollutants thrive in excessively dry or damp conditions, humans thrive in humidity levels between 30-60%. A dehumidifier lets you monitor those levels, as well as achieve the desired range quickly.
Save Energy and Money
When a dehumidifier removes excess humidity from the air, your air conditioner doesn’t have to work as hard to achieve the set temperature. By combining a dehumidifier and air conditioner, you save energy and the costs associated with maintaining or replacing either unit.
Aprilaire was recently recognized as ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient 2020 for the 1870 Whole-Home Dehumidifier. Whether you’re looking to install a whole-home system or a single unit in a specific room, it’s important to consider the impact on your electric bill.
Protect Your Home
Proper humidity delivers several benefits for your home and possessions:
- Prevents woodwork from drying out and possibly cracking
- Protects electronics from the effects of excess humidity
- Lessens chances of mold growth and pest infestations
- Clears out odors common with mold and mildew
- Preservation capabilities keep your hobbies and décor at their best
For more information on how dehumidifiers can impact you and your home, check out the details of the Aprilaire Healthy Air System™.