Click play to listen to the Top Tips to Prepare for Allergy Season article.
As most of the United States has had to deal with an unusually long and cold winter, it may be easy to lose sight of the fact that allergy season is just around the corner; unless of course, you’re an allergy sufferer. A few basic tips to prepare for allergy season include seeing your allergist, of course, to start any recommended treatment early. When pollen counts are high, avoid the outdoors, keep doors and windows closed, and keep your HVAC system filter clean.
Indoor Air Quality: Controlling Your Home’s Air
“The air inside your home can be many times more polluted than the air outside,” says Megan Leick, spokesperson for AprilAire.
“According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), our homes are loaded with pollutants like pollen, pet dander, dust mites, mold spores, bacteria, and viruses. It is no wonder they list indoor air quality as one of the top five environmental risks to public health today.”
What You Don’t Know CAN Hurt You
“Unfortunately, most homeowners believe the standard throwaway furnace filter is doing the job and they couldn’t be more wrong”, Leick says. “The typical one-inch filters people use on the furnace only traps about 5-15% of airborne particulates, leaving 85% to 95% of particulate matter to blow around in their homes.”
Why Consider a “Whole-Home” Solution to Indoor Pollution?
The American Lung Association tracks indoor air quality and its impact. Consider the following facts.
- Polluted air causes 94% of all respiratory problems.
- More than 31 million Americans have been diagnosed with asthma, and about 1/3 are children under 18.
- About 40,000 dust mites, a common household allergen, can live in one ounce of dust.
- An estimated 10-15% of the entire population may be allergic to cat or dog dander.
“When you consider what can occur without controlling your home’s air purity,” says Leick, “it’s hard to believe more people don’t take advantage of whole-home air cleaning systems for health’s sake.”
How They Work
Installed as part of your home’s central heating and cooling system, Whole-Home Air Cleaners are inconspicuous, according to Leick. So, each time your system runs, the air in your home is filtered through state-of-the-art filtering media, so potentially harmful contaminants are removed from every room and permanently trapped in the filter.
The result is your heating and cooling system distributes cleaner, healthier air to your entire home. Better yet, the whole-home systems are easy to maintain (generally once every one to two years, unlike portable units that require monthly care or standard filters that need cleaning every 1-3 months).
Clean Air On YOUR terms
“And now, with new technology from AprilAire, you can control the air quality in your entire home from a convenient location on your wall – your thermostat – and you can choose various cleaning modes based on your own needs, whether you have allergies or you are kicking up extra dust while cleaning or if there’s construction going on around your house. There are also options to control your ventilation or humidity from the same location. It’s the way to control air cleaning today.”
Saving Your Expensive Heating/Cooling System from Harmful Grime Build-up
According to Leick, using high-efficiency filtration also means you are better at protecting your expensive HVAC system from dirt and grime. “I see it all the time. It’s amazing how dirty a system can get when only a standard filter is used,” Leick continued.
“Oftentimes homeowners forget to change these filters every month or every three months as required. With a whole house system, we can change out the high efficient filter annually. And the system is much better protected. AprilAire even offers a guarantee on the system coil if the homeowner properly maintains the use of their filter.”
Consider taking a look at your indoor air and how you can reduce the allergens you breathe at home. At the same time, you can prolong the life of your serious investment in heating and cooling.