Must-Do Home Maintenance Tips To Prepare Your Home for Winter2 minute read
Fall is a great time of year to perform important home maintenance. Autumn creates plenty of predictable yard work, such as raking leaves and cleaning gutters. However, there are a must-do home maintenance chores that are less obvious but just as important in order to get a house in tip-top shape before winter.
Must-do Home Maintenance Tips for the Outdoors and Indoors
When the gardening season draws to a close this fall, it’s time to begin working on projects outside of the house. Forbes’ magazine suggests adding these home improvements to this year’s list:
- Additional lighting – As the days get shorter, sprucing up walkways with ground lighting adds ambiance and an added level of safety. Inexpensive solar lights have improved in quality and can be installed without running wire.
- Walk and caulk – Reducing energy bills, preventing drafts, and keeping critters out of the house in the winter starts with a fresh bead of caulk around windows, siding, and joints. Before it gets too cold, stroll around the entire exterior of the home, and seal any potential air leaks.
- Bring in lawn furniture – If there’s room, it’s best to bring patio tables and chairs into the basement or garage for the winter. It’s also a good time of year to add a fresh coat of paint if the items are looking worn.
- Mulch garden beds – Adding fresh mulch around landscaping can help protect perennial plants and keep weeds down. It’s a fall home maintenance project that can also reduce work next summer.
- Wash your home – Many homeowners don’t realize how dirty their house can get. Even the best siding won’t shed all the dust, dirt, and rain that a house is constantly exposed to. While some synthetic sidings don’t hold paint, they can be given a facelift with a power washer.
3 Indoor Home Maintenance Tips
Of course, no fall home maintenance checklist is complete without ensuring the inside of a home is warm and cozy. Here are some tasks to complete indoors each fall:
- Clean the fireplace – For homeowners that utilize their fireplace or wood-burning stove during winter, this is one of the most important items. Hiring a professional to clean and inspect a chimney can improve efficiency and reduce the risk of fire and CO poisoning. In other words, this tip can save lives.
- Check your humidifier – Ensure whole-home humidifiers have a clean water panel and are working properly. Proper humidification protects wood floors, instruments, art, and furniture from dry air.
- Improve air purification – When fall begins, it’s also a good reminder that it’s time to replace air cleaner filters. A whole-home air purifier can also trap fall allergens, bacteria, and viruses, helping to keep families healthy all year round.
Home maintenance in fall is essential to keeping family members safe and comfortable during the winter. AprilAire has products specifically designed to improve comfort and protect investments from seasonal changes in humidity. To learn more, visit AprilAire.com