Healthy BBQ Food Alternatives For Your Next Family BBQ1 minute read
Summer often feels like one giant vacation. From the pool parties, to the family reunions, to the neighborhood block parties. But all of those summer soirées can become an all-you-can-eat buffet of some not-so-healthy choices. Here are some delicious and healthy alternatives for a family BBQ.
Healthy BBQ Food Alternatives
Option 1: Lean Protein
Choosing grilled chicken or fish over red meat or sausages is a great way to cut fat and calories at your family BBQ without sacrificing the flavor.
- Honey-Lime Tilapia and Corn foil pack
- Grilled Halibut with Tomato Avocado Salsa
- Hot Shot Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Balsamic Glazed Chicken
Option 2: Rethink the Bun
When a burger, brat, or hotdog are your only options, opting for no bun is a great way to cut back on refined carbohydrates. Or, try one of these low-carb alternatives to the classic white bun.
Option 3: Veggie Noodle Substitutes
These are another low-carb healthy alternatives to some of your favorite pasta salads at your family BBQ.
Option 4: Fruit for Dessert
Is it even a BBQ without dessert? Grilling fresh fruit caramelizes its natural sugar, making it the perfect sweet treat for your BBQ.
- Peaches with Maple Honey Mascarpone Cheese
- Fruit Kabobs
- Grilled Watermelon
- Tropical Fruit with Almond Ricotta Sauce
No matter your diet or lifestyle, your outdoor parties can be guilt-free when you make these simple substitutions.
Here are a few more honorable mentions:
- Fresh Veggies > Potato Chips
- Green Salad > Creamy Coleslaw
- Baked Beans > Potato Salad
- Fresh Iced Tea > Soda or other sugary drinks