Summer often feels like one giant vacation. From the pool parties, to the family reunions, to the neighborhood block parties. But all of those summer soirées can become an all-you-can-eat buffet of some not-so-healthy choices. Here are some delicious alternatives for a healthy family BBQ.
Option 1: Lean Protein
Choosing grilled chicken or fish over red meat or sausages is a great way to cut fat and calories at your family BBQ without sacrificing the flavor.
- Honey-Lime Tilapia and Corn foil pack
- Grilled Halibut with Tomato Avocado Salsa
- Hot Shot Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Balsamic Glazed Chicken
Option 2: Rethink the Bun
When a burger, brat, or hotdog are your only options, opting for no bun is a great way to cut back on refined carbohydrates. Or, try one of these low-carb alternatives to the classic white bun.
Option 3: Veggie Noodle Substitutes
These are another low-carb healthy alternatives to some of your favorite pasta salads at your family BBQ.
Option 4: Fruit for Dessert
Is it even a BBQ without dessert? Grilling fresh fruit caramelizes its natural sugar, making it the perfect sweet treat for your BBQ.
- Peaches with Maple Honey Mascarpone Cheese
- Fruit Kabobs
- Grilled Watermelon
- Tropical Fruit with Almond Ricotta Sauce
No matter your diet or lifestyle, your outdoor parties can be guilt-free when you make these simple substitutions.
Here are a few more honorable mentions:
- Fresh Veggies > Potato Chips
- Green Salad > Creamy Coleslaw
- Baked Beans > Potato Salad
- Fresh Iced Tea > Soda or other sugary drinks