Meditation is an amazing tool that everyone can use to improve their mental and emotional health.
Not only are there a variety of styles to cater to individual strengths and personal gains, but meditation is something you can do anywhere without any special equipment.
Find the method that works for you and try to practice it regularly. It can be as simple as breathing in and out of your nose, or taking the time to close your eyes while free of distractions.
There are literally hundreds of benefits to meditation, but we are going to focus on four main categories of wellness that come from meditating.
Primary Health Benefits of Meditation
Mental Health Benefits
- Mindfulness practices can decrease depression
- Help regulate mood and anxiety
- Reduces overall stress and anxiety
- Improves focus, attention, and ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Improves information processing and decision making
- Fosters creativity
Physical Health Benefits
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and premature death
Relational Health Benefits
- Improves levels of compassion
- Improves positive relationships
- Fosters social connectedness
Your health is further affected by your environment, including your home, your workplace, and wherever you choose to meditate.
Just be sure you’re not cancelling out all the health benefits of meditating by breathing in polluted air. The EPA warns that both the air inside and outside your home can contain air pollutants that cause serious health effects.
So before you start the beneficial deep breathing, learn how to best to maintain your Indoor Air Quality. Then find a quiet place, close your eyes, focus on your breathing, and let your mind do the rest.