Healthy Air Resolutions for the New Year
Purify Your Air
- Having clean air in your home environment is vital to the health of your family. A few simple steps can make a world of difference for your everyday life:
- Invest in an air purifier to help reduce the concentration of air pollutants all year long, whether it’s allergens in the spring or stuffy heated air in the winter.
- Increase ventilation to reduce moisture levels by using exhaust fans while cooking or taking a shower.
- Stop burning scented candles that are full of toxic chemicals. Instead, burn beeswax candles, which act as natural air purifiers.
- Add some greens to your home! Houseplants are amazing for improving air quality; think one large plant for every 100 square feet in your home to help purify the air.
Change Your Filters
- Regularly cleaning or changing your air filters will make a huge difference for your Indoor Air Quality. Resolve to check your filters on the schedule that’s recommended by the manufacturer. (Aprilaire filters should be changed once a year, so with our filters this resolution is pretty easy to remember!)
Test For Radon
- According to the EPA, nearly 1 out of every 15 homes in the U.S. is estimated to have elevated radon levels. Radon exposure can eventually lead to lung cancer and other respiratory issues. Testing your indoor air is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from radon. The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes below the third floor for radon. The EPA also offers information on radon test kits.
Change The Batteries In Your Smoke Detector
- According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), you should test your smoke detectors once a month and replace the batteries once or twice a year.
Wherever your New Year’s journey takes you, we are here to help with Healthy Home tips and professional support. We want to make it easy for you to create a better home environment for yourself and your family.