Home is where your heart is — but is it where your health is? According to the EPA, poor indoor air quality (IAQ) is one of the top five environmental risks to public health. This isn’t surprising when you consider these five facts about life in our comfy abodes.
- Increased Time Indoors: Between nights at home and days at work, people spend upwards of 90 percent of their time indoors. This makes plenty of time for even minor indoor air quality issues like mold or dust mites to negatively impact health.
- Indoor Air is Highly Polluted: Because we can’t see the air inside our homes, we don’t always realize that it is can be up to 100 times more polluted than the air we breathe outside.
- Asthma and Allergy Rates are Increasing: Living with asthma and allergies is aggravated by many types of indoor air pollution, including mold, pollen, pet dander and dust. As rates of these health issues rise, so does the number of people suffering indoors.
- Indoor Air May Make Allergies or Asthma Worse: According to the American Lung Association, poor indoor air quality may cause or contribute to respiratory issues.
- Most Homeowners Don’t Know How to Improve IAQ: While homeowners may be feeling the impact of poor indoor air quality, they may not know how to fix it. However, there is a full line of products in the HVAC industry aimed specifically at improving a home’s IAQ.
Ask your HVAC Serviceman about IAQ Solutions
Improving your indoor air quality requires keeping air in the home fresh, purified, properly conditioned and at the right temperature. Whole home air purifiers from Aprilaire can help remove allergens such as mold, pet dander, dust and pollen, which can reduce allergy and asthma symptoms.
Whole-home ventilation solutions can ensure that the air in your house is always fresh, replacing stale indoor air with fresh outdoor air. Control of excess of humidity is achieved with a whole home dehumidifier and a whole home central humidifier can keep air becoming too dry in the winter.
One Thermostat To Rule Them All
Best of all, complete control of indoor air is possible from a single thermostat and smartphone app with the 8920W Thermostat with IAQ Control from Aprilaire. The 8920W allows simple, intuitive control of temperature, humidity, air purity and freshness. Homeowners can also set limits for all attributes of IAQ and receive warnings about temperature and humidity levels. Keeping loved ones healthy in the home has never been easier.
How is your house making you sick?