You wouldn't leave your beautiful wood furniture out in the rain. Or your new laptop out in a dust storm. While poor indoor air quality takes a more subtle approach, it can be equally damaging to your belongings.
The contaminants found in polluted indoor air are tiny—dust, dust mites, molds and mildews—but their effects can be huge.
Indoor air quality problems and their damage includes:
Too much humidity:
- Mold and mildew grows and infests furniture, drapes, carpet, wood, paper and more
- Drawers stick or don't open
- Wood furniture warps or rots
"Elevated relative humidity at a surface—70 percent or higher—can lead to problems with mold, corrosion, decay and other moisture related deterioration...An elevated relative humidity in carpet and within fabrics can lead to dust mite infestation and mildew."
-U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Too little humidity:
- Static shocks can destroy sensitive electronics
- Artwork dries out
- Joints in wood furniture become loose or failing
- Pianos and other musical instruments fall out of tune
"Seasonal and even daily changes in humidity cause wood parts to swell and shrink, affecting tuning stability and touch. Extreme swings in humidity can eventually cause wood to crack and glue joints to fail...Maintaining the correct environment will preserve your piano investment for a lifetime of enjoyment."
-Piano Technicians Guild
- Computers and other temperature-sensitive electronics overheat
- Camera lenses and TV screens get scratched
- Internal components of CD and DVD players are destroyed
- Performance of audio speakers and stereo components are impaired
Aprilaire Can Help You Protect Your Belongings
Aprilaire can provide your family with whole-home indoor air quality solutions that help you protect your belongings as well as make your home healthier and more comfortable.
Our whole-home dehumidifiers and humidifiers can help you maintain the perfect level of humidity.
Our air purifiers remove up to 94% of the dust in your home.
Our whole-home ventilation solutions expel stale, dusty indoor air and exchange it for fresh, dust-free outdoor air.
Use our solution finder or locate a dealer below to find out which Aprilaire solutions are right for you and your home.